I’m not sure why wild rice makes me think of fall…so here’s a yummy recipe for you all as we enter into a season of unending beauty (and leaf raking!)…
Blueberry Wild Rice with Shredded Chicken
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken (leftover from the crockpot would be perfect!) ($1 or less!)
- 1 cup wild rice ($1.50)
- 3/4 cup blueberries ($1.25)
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp sugar ($.05)
- 2 dashes cinnamon ($.05)
- 1 small-medium butternut squash (they will be VERY cheap soon!) ($1.09)
- (Add 1/2 cup white rice and 1 more cup water to stretch this meal a bit further!)Variation: Add dried or fresh cranberries instead of blueberries!)
- Cook wild rice, blueberries, water, sugar and cinnamon for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Mix in chicken as rice finishes cooking.
- Cut squash in half or strips. I prefer to place my halved squash face down in 1/4 inch water in glass baking dish. This gives it LOTS of moisture and comes out perfectly for young mouths! We usually eat our squash (and most other veggies for that matter) plain. A little butter or brown sugar makes it extra tasty!