This right here…just tastes like summer.
Cool, refreshing, the perfect amount of sweetness.
As far as I’m concerned, a solid Blueberry Pie has 4 essential ingredients.
- Fresh blueberries
- Fresh lemon juice
- Fresh lemon zest
- Cardamom – just a dash, as it has a powerful flavor of its own
And this pie right has has all of those things, plus a sugared pie crust top that completes the whole thing!
With blueberries in season right now, this is the perfect time to make this pie with perfectly ripe and sweet blueberries! Nature’s candy in pie form….
- 2 pie crusts - homemade or store bought
- 4 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 lemon - 1 Tbsp lemon juice &1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cold butter, cut into tiny pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray a 9" pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
- Roll out both of the pie crusts on a floured surface. Place one of the crusts into the base of the pie plate.
- In a large bowl, toss together the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Mix well.
- Gently pour the blueberry mixture into the crust in the pie plate and add the butter pieces evenly around the blueberries. Add the top crust and seal up the the edges of the crusts and pinch together. Add a few decorative slits into the top crust layer. Then brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle the coarse sugar over the top. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet, in case any bubbles out. (You don't want it to burn on your oven floor!)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool completely for about 2 hours on a cooling rack.
- Serve Blueberry Pie at room temp or chilled, with large dollop of ice cream.
Pie Baking Essentials
SPOONULA - Ultimate Spoon+Spatula
A most versatile tool has a sharp edge for scraping and precise scooping, plus a wide, extra-deep bowl for the really heavy stuff.
Adjustable Pie Shield
The 1-piece adjustable pie shield protects your crust from burning through the entire baking process.
Danish Dough Whisk
Light and sturdy, easy to use, mixes dough quickly, and handles all types of doughs easily.
BASTING BRUSH - Grill & Small
Designed for precision on delicate tasks (like applying egg wash to pie dough)
YOU'LL GET A PERFECT DECORATIVE PIE CRUST EVERY TIME!
Blueberry pie and ice-cream is one of my favorites! Going to bookmark this recipe!