Sometimes people ask me about how to feed teenage boys on a budget. And my answer is this…make this kind of chili recipe…over and over and over.
I don’t have teenage boys…yet…but 2 of my boys eat more than I do sometimes (and always during a growth spurt). And sometimes I wonder how I’m not going to go broke feeding 4 teenage boys for 10 straight years.
It’s these kinds of hearty meat and potatoes and other meat/rice/beans types meals that will be my money saving grace! 😉
Happy Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili-making!
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
Lovely, filling chili recipe - perfect for any fall afternoon!
Servings - 4 servings
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 small sweet potatoes chopped
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Salad, as side dish
- Open the diced tomatoes. Open, drain and rinse the black beans. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes.
- In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef with the minced onion and garlic powder. Drain and return to saucepan.
- Stir in the chopped sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, ground cumin, and lime juice and saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beef broth and let simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the salad.
- Serve Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili with salad.
Michaelene Doyle says
Can this recipe be made a freezer meal or a crockpot meal?
Such a hit!