I’ve waited as long as I can.
I just had to go and pull the carrots!!!
Here’s what I pulled from 3 squares in the garden.Â There were some itty-bittys (that I ended up munching on), and some larger ones that I threw into the slow cooker with tonight’s dinner.Â (Final garden update coming this weekend)
Sweet, crisp and simply delicious!
Tonight’s dinner is a simple beef roast with carrots from the garden, celery and some spices.Â I plan to strain and save the juices for beef stock.
I bought a 2.4 lb. top round roast when it was on sale for $1.99/lb (reg. $3.99/lb) a few weeks ago.Â I let it thaw in the fridge and then added it to the slow cooker after breakfast.Â Easy as that!
And since we can’t/won’t eat 2.4 lbs of beef in one meal, I plan to use half for this meal and the other half soon!
Beef Roast with Garden Carrots
- 1 2.4 lb. beef roast ($4.77/2=$2.38)
- Carrots from the garden (free) Substitute 2-3 carrots sticks
- 2 celery stalks ($.20)
- Garlic salt
- Handful green beans (free from the garden)
- 2 potatoes (for the Hubs and I) ($.30)
- 1 large sweet potato (for the boys...oldest is allergic to potatoes!) ($.45)
- Butter/margarine for potatoes ($.20)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place 1/2 cup of water in the base of the slow cooker. (I like to do this to dilute out the juices for saving them as beef stock.)
- Place beef roast into the slow cooker. Add carrots and chopped celery around the beef. Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Set slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Wash and snap off ends of green beans. Steam in stovetop steamer or saucepan with 1/2 cup of water for 4-5 minutes.
- Bake (or microwave) potatoes and sweet potatoes. Vent with fork or cut slits with knife. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until soft.
- Cooking time will depend on thickness of potatoes. To microwave, vent in same way and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until soft all the way through.
- Serve sliced Beef Roast with Garden Carrots, Green Beans and Baked Potatoes.