This recipe is part of our 6th Costco Meal Plan: 20 Slow Cooker Freezer Packs from Costco for $150!
Ok. So the kids picked the lima beans out of this one. But my husband ate them up because they are his fave! lol
Overall, we really enjoyed this soup…starts with browning ground beef, then loading up the slow cooker and letting it do all the flavor mixing for you!
Couple notes about the 20 Meals from Costco for $150 meal plan shopping list for this recipe…
- Broth – I wrote in 2-3 cups of broth for this, but you’ll need to make depending on how soupy you want it and how much steam your slow cooker releases. I make closer to the 2 cup range because my boys prefer to eat this ‘chunky’ as opposed to soupy. And my slow cooker doesn’t let too much steam out. Feel free to adjust to your preferences and liking.
- Box vs. Bouillon – it’s much cheaper to go the bouillon route and super simple to add to recipes like this one. If you prefer the box, that works too! See note in the directions about whether or not to add the broth to the freezer bag.
- Gluten Free Modifications: Serve with rice on the side, or in the soup, in place of the dinner roll.
- Whole 30 and Paleo Modificiations: omit the beans. Don’t use frozen mixed vegetables, but a combo of other fresh or frozen veggies that don’t include corn. Serve with side of fresh fruit.
Note: I’ve written the recipe below to be based on the shopping list for the 6th plan in the 20 Meals from Costco for $150 series.
Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Soup
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3-4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2-3 cups chicken broth (from bouillon or box)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Italian seasoning to taste
- Side: Dinner roll
- Brown and drain the ground beef.
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours, or high for 6 hours. If cooking from partially frozen, you’ll need to cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, depending on how frozen the pack is when you start cooking it.
- To pack into gallon size freezer baggie: Label. Then, follow the same directions in the first 2 bullets. Let the browned ground beef cool for a few minutes before adding it to the bag. If you wish to leave the broth out, then freeze without the broth and make a note on the bag that you need to add the broth. Place in the fridge to let the ground beef cool completely before adding to the freezer. (This will help prevent freezer burn.) Remove as much air as you can and seal. Freeze up to 6 months in your fridge freezer or 12 months in a deep freezer.
- To thaw, place the bags in the fridge overnight. Or quick thaw in a bowl of warm water.
- Instant Pot Directions: Brown and drain the ground beef. Add in black beans, diced tomatoes, frozen mixed vegetables, chicken broth. Gently stir to combine. Close the lid and set to Sealing. Cook on High, Manual for 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Let pressure release naturally.