Our family went goo-goo-gaa-gaa over this delicious beef and mushroom laced Ragu sauce!
I’m not sure which is the best part – the fact that everyone loved it. Or the fact that it practically cooked itself in the slow cooker all day. This is an easy “Dump Dinner” – where you’re just dropping and dumping ingredients into the slow cooker and letting it take care of the rest. (I love these kinds of meals – so much so that I wrote a cookbook about them!)
Beef and Mushroom Ragu
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours in slow cooker
- 2 lbs. stew beef
- Salt and pepper
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 whole carrots (or 1 cup matchstick carrots)
- 8 oz. box sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream (optional)
- Garnish: shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- Side: pasta
- Side: salad
- Peel and shred the carrots. If needed, wash and slice the baby bella mushrooms.
- Place the stew beef into the base of the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Pour the crushed tomatoes, sliced green olives, beef stock, shredded or matchstick carrots, sliced baby bella mushrooms, minced onion, minced garlic, oregano, rosemary and gently stir to combine.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours. Once finished cooking, stir in the heavy cream (optional). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish sauce with shredded or grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook the pasta, as directed.
- Prepare the salad.
- Serve Slow Cooker Beef and Mushroom Ragu over pasta with side salad.
This recipe is featured on Meal Plan Monday #145.