Today is Thursday. That means I’m doubling up the dinner recipe and putting half in the freezer! I plan to do this every Thursday until baby boy #3 arrives. I chose Thursday because its my “lightest” day and I can spend some extra time in the kitchen.
This recipe from Carrie at Carrie’s Cooking called for a ground beef, green peppers and onions mix…so I decided that I’d kill 2 birds with 1 stone and brown up some extra ground beef mix and freeze it for an easy spaghettti sauce or a skillet dinner post-baby…or even pre-baby!!! And what’s even more perfect…green peppers were on sale (their lowest price around here!) for $.50 each this week!
So tonight I was able to get an extra meal, plus 6 portions of ready-made ground beef mix into the freezer!
The recipe below is the “single” dinner recipe for 4. I noted the freezer directions below as well.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup dried black beans
- 8 burrito size flour tortillas
- 2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 Tbsp butter or dairy free margarine, melted
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, diced
- Soak beans overnight or for at least 2 hours in HOT water. Drain, rinse and then add to saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 1.5 - 2 hours, or until beans are soft. Drain juices. Substitute 1 15 oz. can of black beans if prefer.
- Brown the ground beef with green pepper, onion and corn. Drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, allowing flavors time to mingle. Add cooked black beans.
- Lay the tortillas flat and spread the meat and bean mixture onto each of the tortillas. Top with shredded cheese.
- Roll up the tortillas, and place them seam-side down onto a baking sheet. Brush the tortillas with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tortillas turn golden brown.
- Serve Beef and Bean Chimichangas with Lettuce and Tomato Salad.
Freezer Meal Instructions
- After rolling up the tortillas place in freezer safe container and place in freezer. When ready to cook defrost in refrigerator overnight, then brush with melted butter and bake as directed above.