We’ve talked about adding beans to taco meat to stretch the protein out a little further. But now, it’s time to take it even further. To “three bean” tacos.
So my idea for “three bean tacos” turned into a “two bean” taco! If you look close enough, you’ll notice that there are only 2 beans in these tacos. Only the black beans and pinto beans made the cut.
I accidentally grabbed the bag of just pinto beans from the freezer. Last time I made a batch of dried beans (how to cook dried beans here), I froze some red kidney beans with some pinto beans in the same baggie…knowing that I’d be using them for this recipe.
Since I grabbed the wrong bag…you’ll just have to image some red kidney beans in there.
And this meal is just the beginning of my new love affair with avocados.
Three Bean Crispy Tacos
- 1 lb. ground chuck ($1.79)
- 3 cups cooked beans, pinto and black in this case! ($.60)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained ($.29) Bought on sale with coupon and store discount
- 3 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning ($.10)
- 8 hard shell tacos ($1) Bought on sale with store discount
- Handful or so shredded lettuce ($.05)
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- 1 avocado, sliced ($1)
- Couple drops of lime juice ($.01)
- Brown the ground chuck and drain. Return it to the skillet and add the cooked beans, diced tomatoes, and homemade taco seasoning. Let simmer for 5 minutes or so.
And here’s my leftovers idea for you…
Leftover meat and a tortilla, warmed…with a few avocado slices.
(There’s that avocado again. Must be true love.)