In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, I’ll be having these for lunch tomorrow!
Please pardon my incorrect breakdown of the sounds. Grammar, sounds and pronunciation are not my forte!
Molletes are traditional Mexican sandwiches, and my spicy version is the perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a little kick!
Cinco de Mayo is the day Mexico declared victory over the French in a critical battle. It is a day commonly set aside for the celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. It is technically not Mexican Independence Day, but many celebrate it as though it were. So let’s all celebrate!
Cinco de Mayo celebrations are filled with an amazing variety of foods and traditional Mexican dishes. I know for me, I’m often intimidated by the thought of trying to make a traditional anything from any country. But these spicy molletes are as traditional as it gets, and they can be made in minutes.
Bean and Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 bolillo rolls, or ciabatta bread
- 15 oz. can refried beans
- 2 jalapenos seeded and sliced
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- Slice the bolillo rolls open lengthwise.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the refried beans, and then spread onto the bottom slice of the bolillo roll.
- Top with a few jalapeno slices and shredded cheese.
- Broil for three to five minutes or until cheese is melted and begins to turn golden brown.
- Sprinkle with salsa and top with the other slice of bread.
I think they’d be pronounced more like “moh-yeht-tehs”. I never thought about having refrieds on a roll, but if my mother could have baked bean sandwiches to take to school, I’m sure I can do refrieds and cheese with a little enchilada sauce. Hold the jalapenos! Sounds pretty good.
Never thought of a recipe such as this one for a sandwich but it sure sounds good and appetizing, easy to prepare and great for a 5 de mayo party! Thank you for sharing.
Food on the Table says
Looks delicious and even better, looks easy!! Refried beans in a sandwich like this isn’t anything I’d ever thought of doing, but now, reading the recipe, I can’t imagine it being less than wonderful. This would also be a great picnic dish.
Those look yummy!!! I think i will make those tonight
I didn’t it was that great, but interesting concept.