So grateful for a stocked freezer when coming home from a trip. I grabbed some ground meat, cooked black and pinto beans, and set to work in the kitchen. After thawing it all, I browned the ground meat, then added the beans and some BBQ sauce.
So. So. Simple.
I also had some drop biscuits in the freezer…so I thawed those and poured the cowboy beans over top. Served with a side of frozen corn…a delicious, well balanced manly meal from the freezer.
And the added bonus…plenty of leftovers for lunch!
BBQ Cowboy Beans with Biscuits
- 1.3 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups cooked black beans Substitute 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans Substitute 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- Drop biscuits
- 1/2 bag frozen corn
- Brown the ground beef with the crushed garlic cloves. Drain and return to skillet. Add the black and pinto beans, as well as the BBQ sauce, diced tomatoes...and stir through. Let simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Make drop biscuits.
- Prepare the corn as directed on package.
- Serve BBQ Cowboy Beans over Drop Biscuits with Corn.
That looks good, did you add a can of diced tomatoes? What’s that red diced thing in the mix?
Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom says
Oh yes! Thanks!
Debbi Does Dinner Healthy says
I love anything with beans!! These look awesome, can’t wait to make them, thanks!
Wow!! This is a quick, easy, and healthy dish! I will have to remember this, I always have a container of whole-wheat biscuit mix in my fridge…..this will be a great meal on a hurried back-to-school night!
to make this even healthier, replace ground beef with ground turkey, and switch out the corn for grean beans. Less fat and less carbs 😉
Mrs. Lindblom says
This looks great!
Carol D. says
I just discovered your blog! (I borrowed your cookbook from the library a year or so ago.) I’m gluten free now, too, and struggling to keep food costs down for my family of 7 while not making separate stuff just for me. What do you do for the drop biscuits for you these days?
I mixed up 2 boxes of jiffy mix and added it to the top of the mixture in a casserole dish and it was awesome!
Roger S. says
Looks very DISGUSTING!! 🙁
Ruth Hill says
I made this tonight, and it was awesome! My mom said it was better than canned baked beans, and I concur.
Thank you for feedback
It will be helpful.