I’ve been on a potato kick lately. Big, big potato kick.
Totally pregnancy related. But still, a big kick.
I think it’s the butter. I generally eat a low-fat diet and I sense that when baby needs to grow and needs some fat, I crave potatoes. Because my body knows that I will slather butter all over them and get some good fat into the potato. (Amazing, I think, how the body knows what it needs!)
I could eat them just like this…loaded up with butter, pepper and a little garlic salt.
But since I have these dudes to feed, I thought I’d throw some BBQ chicken (and cheese onto Steve’s) on top. (Boy’s are dairy-free…still. Last time I tested, we got reactions 🙁 )
So…this is an inexpensive one (potatoes are SO cheap right now!) for all those “meat and potato” mouths you have to feed!
- 4-6 baking potatoes (depending on how hungry the crowd is!)
- 1 lb. chicken breasts or thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Butter, salt and pepper for potatoes
- Shredded Cheese for topping
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for an hour at 350 degrees. Or in the slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, add the chicken with about 1/2 cup of water and the BBQ sauce to a Dutch oven or saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat for 20 minutes, or until chicken is soft and tender. Remove from heat, let cool slightly, then shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Once the potatoes are done, add butter and salt and pepper, mix and mash. Top with the shredded BBQ chicken and then cheese.
- Serve BBQ Chicken Potatoes with side of veggies or fruit.