Baked Sweet Hawaiian Chicken is THE very best response to “What’s for dinner?!”
The whole family will love this easy to prepare weeknight dinner!
Baked Sweet Hawaiian Chicken is a must try recipe!
I’m serious. Stop what you’re doing and pencil this into your next meal plan.
I love it because it’s such a colorful dish. I also love that it has veggies and chicken all in one. Because that means side dishes are truly optional, as it’s great all by itself.
Cut the chicken up, coat with cornstarch and egg, then add it to a dish with sauce and bake to perfection!
Baked Sweet Hawaiian Chicken has the superb sweet and tangy flavor combination. It is delightful alone, but would also be great served over greens, over rice, over noodles, or in a lettuce wrap. The variation possibilities are endless!
If you like a good, drool-worthy step by step… you can find that below.
Gather all the ingredients.
Chop up the pepper and the chicken.
Whisk up a savory sauce.
Toss chicken pieces in the cornstarch, coat in eggs, and then brown in a skillet.
Add chicken to baking dish and pour sauce over the top.
Add the bell pepper and pineapple on top of the chicken. Bake to perfection.
Sweet Hawaiian Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Hawaiian Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup pineapple juice – this is normally about the amount of juice left in the tidbits can
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce low sodium
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 red bell pepper chopped and seeds removed
- 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits drained
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Prepare a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cut chicken breasts in bite-size pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Place cornstarch in a large Ziploc bag, and eggs in a separate medium bowl. Toss chicken pieces in cornstarch to coat, then coat in eggs.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook coated chicken until golden-brown on all sides. (It will not cook all the way through. It will finish baking in the oven.)
- Place chicken in the prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl add the Hawaiian sauce ingredients; pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar and cornstarch. Pour over the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the top of the chicken with the chopped bell pepper and pineapple.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. (Stirring the chicken every 15 minutes or so allows it to evenly coat in sauce.)
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve Sweet Hawaiian Chicken with favorite sides.
This recipe is featured on Meal Plan Monday #225.