This dish sorta turned into an experiment.Â I started with a plan in mind.Â And it kept changing as I found new things in the fridge to add to the dish!
I needed to use the eggplant and Cubanelle peppers I picked from the garden this week.Â And I had 2 green tomatoes in the fridge (more on the green tomato situation in the next garden update!).Â Why not throw those in too?
So this is what we got!
- 12 oz. spaghetti noodles ($.65)
- 2 tsp olive oil ($.06)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped ($.30)
- 2 green tomatoes, diced (from the garden)
- 1 Cubanelle (aka Italian frying) pepper, seeded and diced (from the garden)
- 1 small eggplant, diced (from the garden)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained ($.65)
- 2 small chicken breasts, diced ($1.79) About 1 lb.
- 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese ($.62-$1.25)
- About 1/2 lb. green beans (from the garden)
- In medium saucepan, cook spaghetti noodles as indicated on the package. Drain and place into greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In large skillet, add olive oil, onion, green tomatoes, pepper, eggplant, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.