Kristie sent me this super easy and “throw together” recipe for Bachelor Stew.
1 lb ground beef (Kroger had it for 1.97/lb where I live)
1 can of Vegetable Soup
1 can of Ranch Style Beans ($.79)
1 box of Corn Bread ($.44)
- Cook the meat in a large pot then drain. Dump in the soup and beans, mix together, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When I make the cornbread I throw in a bit of sugar when mixing to add a bit of sweetness.
Since the cans of vegetable soups that I checked out all had potatoes (which my oldest is allergic to!), I decided to forgo using the can and just add some frozen veggies in with some canned tomatoes to give the same flavor.Â And I used some frozen pinto beansÂ from a big batch instead, added a dash of salsa and we’ll call them Ranch Style Beans!
- 1 lb. ground beef ($1.39) On sale this week!
- 1/2 small yellow onion ($.15)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 celery stalk, chopped, about 1 cup ($.10)
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots ($.33)
- 1 1/2 cup pinto beans ($.15)(Or learn how to cook your own beans here.)
- 8 green beans (the last from the garden) Substitute with 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 can stewed tomatoes ($.66)
- 1 can tomato paste ($.19) Used coupon!
- 1 cup salsa ($.50)
- 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal ($.50)
- 1/2 cup flour ($.10)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder ($.05)
- 2 Tbsp sugar ($.05)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp canola oil ($.10)
- 2 eggs ($.20)
- 1 cup milk ($.10) Use rice milk to stay dairy-free!
- Optional, serve with Butter ($.20) and Honey ($.30)