So…..this was supposed to be an apple pie.
Well…I meant to make an apple pie.
But I didn’t have 2 rolls of pie crust.
(I know I could have made it, but I was in a real time crunch.)
And you know what they say…
When life only gives you 1 pie crust, you make a crostada.
That’s not right, something about lemons…but whatever. You get it.
A crostada it had to be…
And one other thing that I love about crostadas…you don’t have to worry and fuss about a “fancy” crust on top! No lattice, fluting, forking, pinching, etc. Just fold and wrap and brush a little egg wash and sprinkle a little sugar. So simple and so delicious!
Oh, and last thing…they bake way faster than a pie does 😉
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 1 roll pie crust (or 1 homemade pie crust)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 4 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar, for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Whipped cream, optional topping
- Preheat oven to 450. Lightly grease a rimmed baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay the pie crust flat in the center of the baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, allspice and pinch of salt. Gently toss in the thinly sliced apples. Place the mixture into the middle of the pie crust.
- Fold over the edges of the pie crust to “wrap the apples.” Brush the top of the crust with water and sprinkle with 1 to 2 tsp sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Add the chopped pecans and bake another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool and serve Apple Crostada with whipped cream topping.