This is something I just made up with what we had on hand last week. I also ate it as leftovers because it was so good, and I never do that! It’s different than my usual make & go dish, as it needs to be eaten at the table. Having those types of nights is nice when you get the chance. Most of my kids actually ate it with the spinach in it, but it’s easy to leave out if you want. Actually, it’s easy to add things if you want as well! Feel free to add a sprig of mint, or some ground nuts. Whatever your family prefers! I really do think it’s the feta cheese that makes this dish so scrumptious, but you be the judge for your family. (And it won’t kill the recipe if you use dried herbs instead of fresh.) For a make ahead meal, once you fill the shells, you can refrigerate the pan and cook them the next night. Just extend the cooking time to 40 minutes. I like to serve pasta with garlic bread. Let me know if you make this, I’m excited about it!
Angie’s Jumbo Stuffed Shells
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 30 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 half of a 12-ounce box of jumbo pasta shells (about 18 shells)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 reg. container Feta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- ¾ cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 (26-ounce) jar Italian pasta sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350. Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add the tsp salt and pasta shells to the water. Boil the shells until they are tender but still a little firm. (about 10 minutes)While these are boiling, prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients, minus the pasta sauce.
- Pour 1 cup pasta sauce into a 9×13 pan. Fill shells with the cheese mixture and place them in rows in the pan. Sometimes I use 2 pans depending on space.
- Pour the remaining pasta sauce over the shells and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
How big is a regular container of feta cheese?
Angie Atchley says
either the 10 or 12oz, I’ve noticed different stores sell different ones.
My husband and I absolutly love this. We are both huge beef fans, but love that this has so much flavor, even after a coupled days, that we don’t miss the beef at all! Thank you so much!