Alrighty, usually I’m all about fast and easy recipes and out the door. Not this time.
This is a great sit around the table and talk about your day recipe! It was a big hit with kids and husband alike, but I’m not so sure about the 2 year old. She just wanted to suck the dressing off. I wonder if she would have eaten them if she hadn’t had the dressing first. (Trying that tactic next time.) It’s just so much fun to dip things though! I think that is one of the reasons this goes over so well with kids.
I love recipes that use salad dressing or BBQ sauce, because with coupons and sales, you get those items practically free. Yay for free!
Generally the kids had 1-2 balls each, but Liza, my 4 year old had about 5! I don’t know how she didn’t pop!
Buffalo Chicken Balls
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup freshly sliced scallions
- 5 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup mild hot sauce
- 5 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup blue cheese salad dressing for dipping
- Heat skillet on medium.
- Place eggs, breadcrumbs and flour in separate bowls, like an assembly line.
- Mix cheese, scallions, pepper, garlic salt, hot sauce, and chicken in a large bowl.
- Make egg size balls out of the chicken mixture, yep, get your hands in there!
- Coat chicken balls in the flour, then dip in eggs, and then bread crumbs.
- Fry balls in the oil for approximately 2 minutes, (you’ll probably have to do several batches of 5 balls each).
- Set on paper towels to absorb excess oil and then serve warm, dipped in blue cheese dressing.