We have been alternating between high temperatures and flash floods. Every time it rains, I want comfort foods like pot roast and potatoes. But it is so hot that I don’t want to turn on the oven.
My slow cooker once again came to my rescue! I love that is allows me to cook family favorites without heating up the house.
When I make my pot roast, I put the vegetables around the roast, rather than under it. I like a little bite to my vegetables and this keeps them from becoming too mushy. I just rotate the vegetables every 2 -3 hours, so they cook more evenly. If you don’t rotate them the veggies on bottom tend to become too soft and the ones on top are a little too firm.
- 2 lb. beef roast
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, washed and chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 -6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (homemade seasoned salt recipe)
- coarse ground pepper
- Place a little broth in the bottom of the slow cooker. then place the roast in the slow cooker.
- Place the carrots, potatoes, and onions around the roast.
- Pour the rest of the broth over the meat and veggies.
- Sprinkle the garlic and spices over the roast and veggies.
- Cook on lowfor 7 - 8 hours. Every couple hours, I rotate the vegetables so they cook more evenly.