I love how fast stir-frys come together. Broccoli and Beef is one of my favorite dishes, but I avoided making it for years because I thought the recipe involved too many steps for an easy stir-fry dinner. The recipe I was given by a friend involved cooking the meat in oil, steaming the veggies, cooking both in a marinade and then adding a sauce – just not going to happen on a busy night. Then one evening it occurred to me: I am not a recipe follower! So I used the flavors and created a fast and easy Broccoli and Beef recipe that we can enjoy even on busy nights.
You don’t need a wok to make stir-frys. I just use a large frying pan and push ingredients to the side before I work on the sauce in the center like so:
After you have cut your broccoli florets, don’t toss the stems! You can julienne the stems and use them to make Broccoli Slaw.
Easy Broccoli and Beef
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 lb thin flank steak, cut in thin strips
- 1/2 small onion, cut in thin strips
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup Asian stir-fry sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Cook the white rice, as directed on the package.
- Add olive oil and soy sauce to a large frying pan or wok and turn the heat to medium high. Once the oil and soy sauce are warmed up, add the steak and onion strips and cook until the meat is mostly browned.
- Stir in the broccoli and carrot sticks. Cook over a medium-high flame for 4 to 5 minutes or until broccoli is fork tender and meat is cooked through.
- Pour in the Asian stir-fry sauce, and toss the beef and broccoli with the sauce until thoroughly coated and warmed through.
- Serve Broccoli and Beef over white rice.