5 minutes prep.
I think we might just start eating these every day, forever.
- I don’t count the salt and pepper in the ingredients. Or the sides/buns. So don’t send me hate email. 😉 There are 3 or 4 ingredients that go into the slow cooker to cook. And that’s it. So simple.
- You could cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10. I usually write in as low for 8, as that works for many people!
- Omit the red onion if you don’t like them. I like the extra crunch and flavor punch.
- Serve on favorite bun or slider bun. If you’re GF, you could serve over rice!
- This recipe makes 8 servings, so you’ll have leftovers that you can freeze. To freeze the cooked chicken, let it cool completely before adding to plastic freezer baggie or container.
That’s it…let’s get to the delicious-ness!
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast (or 1 lb. chicken breasts & 1 lb. chicken thighs)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 15 oz. can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 Small red onion, finely chopped
- 8 8 buns
- Side dish ideas: fresh fruit, carrot sticks, chips
- Place the chicken breasts into the base of the slow cooker. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the top. Drizzle BBQ sauce over the chicken breasts and then pour the juices around the chicken breasts and the pineapple on top of the chicken. (I like to add the onions raw after the chicken has cooked, but if you'd like to add them in while it all cooks, you can drop them in with the crushed pineapple.) Set on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Once cooked, pull out the chicken breasts and the pineapple and add to a bowl, then shred with 2 forks. Mix in the chopped red onion, if you didn't add it to the slow cooker.
- Prepare preferred side dishes to go with the sandwiches.
- Serve Shredded Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches with fruit or veggies and some chips. Or whatever you like!
Freezer Meal Instructions
- Add ingredients into a gallon size freezer bag. Put baggie in the freezer and freeze up to 6 months in fridge freezer or 12 months in a deep freezer. Thaw in the fridge overnight, or a warm bowl of water for about 20 minutes, before transferring to the slow cooker and cooking on low for 8 hours.