In honor of the release of Stephanie’s Make it Fast Cook it Slow Cookbook, I thought it only fitting to make a recipe from her site tonight! I found this recipe in the book…and knew the boys would love it. So I made it.
And they loved it. Not only did they ask for more chicken, they asked for more squash too! Even had 3rds on the squash!!!
Oh. And I try to make meals that have some “color” in them…doesn’t always happen. And I don’t usually notice until I go to take a photograph. Tonight’s meal might not be terribly colorful, but it does contain something from each of the 4 food groups and is quite “balanced”. My high school nutrition teacher would be proud!
Applesauce (natural). Acorn Sqush. Brown Rice. Chicken.
This was delicious. Thanks Steph!!!
2 large chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs.) ($2.28) On sale for $1.49/lb at a local grocer this week!!!
Salt and pepper, sprinkled over chicken
1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
1 1/2 cup applesauce ($.50)
1 Tbsp apple cidar vinegar ($.05)
1 tsp cinnamon ($.05)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1 medium acorn squash (about 2 lbs.) ($1.02) Unadvertised sale of $.49/lb!
Butter or margarine ($.20)
3-4 Tbsp brown sugar, maple syrup or honey ($.25)
1 cup brown rice ($.40)
1/2 cup apple juice ($.20)
**Note: Use split breast chicken, chicken thighs or drumsticks to make this meal even cheaper!!!
1. Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken breasts into base of slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper and garlic powder.
2. In small bowl, combine applesauce, cidar vinegar and cinnamon. Pour over the chicken breasts. Set slow cooker on high and cook for 6 hours, or low for 8 hours.
3. Cook acorn squash, same method as you cook butternut squash. Takes about 45 minutes to bake, so start at the same time as you start the rice to get them both on the table at the same time!
4. In medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup of brown rice and 1/2 cup of apple juice. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 45-50 minutes, or until brown rice is fluffy.
5. Serve Slow Cooker Applesauce Chicken with Sweetened Acorn Sqaush and Brown Rice