Any cake with more than two layers is a special celebratory cake in my cookbook. A spring green cake even more so.
At the first sign of brilliant blue skies, I start to think of making my Aunt Kathy’s Lime Cake. Will it be for Easter, Mother’s Day, a birthday or a bridesmaids luncheon? All of the above.
The inside of the cake gets its spring green color from a box of lime jello. Plus, the icing calls for three tablespoons of lime juice.
Yield – 12 servings
Preparation Time – 25 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 box Duncan Hines lemon cake mix
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 3/4 cup Wesson oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 small box instant lime jello
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- Spray three (3) 8- or 9-inch cake pans with non-stick spray. Preheat oven according to instructions on cake box (350 degrees).
- Mix all cake ingredients together in stand mixer on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bake according to box instructions. Mine turned out well in 350 oven for 31 minutes.
Frosting: For the frosting, mix all together until smooth. Note: The frosting makes just enough for a thin layer – so don’t use up too much between the layers.
And little hands really enjoyed squeezing the lime!
Make it pretty: Now this cake is so delicious it really doesn’t matter what it looks like. But you can dress it up a bit. When the girls and I made this we added a few pansies to the side and top.
But it is also pretty with Cadbury mini eggs on individual slices. Really, it is a treat no matter how it is presented.
Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.