I discovered long ago that I could get my kids to eat any orange vegetable if I seasonÂ it with pumpkin pie spices.Â I decided to take that idea and kick it up a notch and apply it to Sunday Dinner.
This is an easy one-pot dinner. It is also quite frugal for a fancy SundayÂ dinner. Pork roasts go on sale for as little as .99 centsÂ a pound in my area and sweet potatoesÂ have been on sale for aroundÂ .50 cents a pound.
Alea's Pork Roast with Pumpkin Pie Spiced Sweet Potatoes
- 2 - 3 lb. pork roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add olive oil to an oven safe pan. Place roast in pan and brown on all sides over a medium-high heat.
- While the meat is browning, mix orange juice, honey, and spices in a small bowl.
- Once the meat is browned, pour half of the honey spice mix over the roast. Placea lid on the pot (or cover tightly with foil)and place it in the oven. Cook for 30 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, wash and coarsely chop the sweet potatoes. I leave the skin on.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and drizzle the remaining honey spice mix over the potatoes. Toss to coat the potatoes. Place lid back on pot and cook for 1 hour or until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees and the sweet potatoes are fork tender.