- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Steak and Asparagus Frittata – Breakfast for Dinner!
Posted By Alea On March 8, 2011 @ 5:00 pm In Breakfast,Eggs,Gluten Free,Recipes | 8 Comments
My children and I have established a ritual of having breakfast for dinner on the first night my husband is TDY. When he is deployed for any length of time, we have breakfast for dinner at least once a week. There is something so cozy and comforting about breakfast food and I appreciate how fast and easy breakfast recipes come together. Usually I make Scrambled Eggs  or Oatmeal Pancakes . Occasionally I want to serve something just a little fancier, but that doesn’t mean I want to work any harder. That is when I make a frittata. Frittatas are as tasty as a quiche, but are easier to make than an omelet.
My husband and I have a daily ritual that usually makes my dinner plans proceed more smoothly. He calls me as soon as he leaves the base, tells me about his day, and lets me know when he will be home. His schedule is erratic and I have learned the hard way that I can prep dinner, but that I should never turn on a flame until I get that call. Yesterday, when he called he started talking about his next deployment. Just the thought of him being gone again was enough to make me crave breakfast for dinner. Since I hadn’t started cooking yet, it was easy to change my plans and make this Steak and Asparagus Frittata.
I used leftover steak in this recipe, but any leftover meat would work well. You could also leave the meat out to create a frugal, meatless dish.
Steak and Asparagus Frittata
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked steak, cut into small pieces
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Heat water to boiling in a double boiler. Add asparagus to basket and steam for 2 minutes.
- Add olive oil to a 10” oven safe skillet. Add onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are tender.
- Place eggs, parmesan cheese, rosemary, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Add asparagus and steak to the onions. Mix well. Pour egg mixture over asparagus.
- Cook over medium flame until eggs are almost cooked through, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the stove top and sprinkle cheddar and mozzarella cheese over the eggs. Place in the oven approximately 6 inches beneath the broiler. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and eggs are cooked through.
- Remove frittata from the broiler and let sit for several minutes before serving.
When I make this frittata for dinner, I serve it with Strawberry Spinach Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette . (Isn’t it lovely that asparagus, strawberries, and spinach are all in season and on sale right now?) When I make a frittata for breakfast, I serve it with a fresh fruit salad, using whatever fruit is in season and on sale.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/steak-asparagus-frittata/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 Scrambled Eggs: http://www.premeditatedleftovers.com/2011/01/scrambled-eggs-pantry-staple.html
 Oatmeal Pancakes: http://www.premeditatedleftovers.com/2010/09/oatmeal-pancakes.html
 Strawberry Spinach Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette: http://www.premeditatedleftovers.com/2010/04/strawberry-spinach-salad-with-fresh.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.