- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Beef Roast with Garden Carrots
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On October 7, 2009 @ 6:29 pm In Beef,Dairy Free,Garden,Gluten Free,Potatoes,Recipes,Slow Cooker | 11 Comments
I’ve waited as long as I can.
I just had to go and pull the carrots!!!
Here’s what I pulled from 3 squares in the garden. There were some itty-bittys (that I ended up munching on), and some larger ones that I threw into the slow cooker with tonight’s dinner. (Final garden update coming this weekend)
Sweet, crisp and simply delicious!
Tonight’s dinner is a simple beef roast with carrots from the garden, celery and some spices. I plan to strain and save the juices for beef stock.
I bought a 2.4 lb. top round roast when it was on sale for $1.99/lb (reg. $3.99/lb) a few weeks ago. I let it thaw in the fridge and then added it to the slow cooker after breakfast. Easy as that!
And since we can’t/won’t eat 2.4 lbs of beef in one meal, I plan to use half for this meal and the other half soon!
1 2.4 lb. beef roast ($4.77/2=$2.38)
Carrots from the garden (free) Substitute 2-3 carrots sticks
2 celery stalks ($.20)
Handful green beans (free from the garden)
2 potatoes (for the Hubs and I) ($.30)
1 large sweet potato (for the boys…oldest is allergic to potatoes!) ($.45)
Butter/margarine for potatoes ($.20)
Salt and pepper
1. Place 1/2 cup of water in the base of the slow cooker. (I like to do this to dilute out the juices for saving them as beef stock.) Place beef roast into the slow cooker. Add carrots and chopped celery around the beef. Season with garlic salt and pepper. Set slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
2. Wash and snap off ends of green beans. Steam in stovetop steamer or saucepan with 1/2 cup of water for 4-5 minutes.
3. Bake (or microwave) potatoes and sweet potatoes. Vent with fork or cut slits with knife. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until soft. Cooking time will depend on thickness of potatoes. To microwave, vent in same way and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until soft all the way through.
4. Serve sliced Beef Roast with Garden Carrots, Green Beans and Baked Potatoes.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/beef-roast-with-garden-carrots/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.