No, I’m not crazy. Well, maybe a little.
Yes, I turned my oven up to 450. In the summer. But it was sorta cool out. We’d been at the pool, and kicked out by a massive thunderstorm that was followed by a cold front. And the temps dipped to a chilly 78. Yes, that feels chilly at this point. So I took advantage of this cool afternoon to make these flautas. They are one of my Try 13 Challenge recipes , and I’m so glad that we tried them!
Two (maybe 3?) of my four children (jury is still out on the baby!) have a dairy allergy – asthma & eczema, boo! – so we don’t eat much cheese, and I make my own white cream sauces using rice milk. I do occasionally purchase shredded non-dairy cheese and use it quite sparingly. This recipe is perfect, as it uses less than 1 cup of cheese…so I can stretch their expensive cheese as far as possible. While I was preparing this, it reminded me of these delicious Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas.  Except without all the cheese and sauce on top.
Super simple prep – mix together cooked chicken and spinach with some cheese. Roll in tortilla. Brush or spray with oil. Bake in hot, hot oven. Turn. Bake. Serve.
(Freezer Cooking Tip – I made extras and froze them in groups of 2 for Steve to take for his lunch!)
Also, I love having cooked and shredded chicken in the freezer, in 2 cup portions…for meals just like this one. On the dinner in less than 30 minutes, if you’ve got the chicken pre-cooked!
Hope y’all enjoy these flautas!!!
Baked Chicken & Spinach Flautas
Adapted from Healthy. Delicious. 
Yield – 20 flautas
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 – 20 minutes
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 10 oz. bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey or Pepper Jack cheese
- 20 tortillas
- Oil, for brushing or spraying
- Side dish suggestions – corn, guacamole
- Set out spinach to thaw. Once thawed, drain well.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the chicken, spinach and cheese. Spoon into the tortillas. Roll the tortillas and place seam side down on greased cookie sheet. Spray or brush with oil.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve Baked Chicken & Spinach Flautas with side of corn or other favorite tex-mex food.