- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Spicy 15 Bean Chili – Hurst Beans
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On February 29, 2012 @ 5:57 pm In Beans,Recipes | 1 Comment
You know what I love about chili.
The versatility. The simplicity. The “fill-icity.” (How filling it is…and how it satisfies the bottomless pit bellies that sit around my dinner table every night.) The cost effect-icity.
(Yay for making up new words!)
See why I love it so much. So many needs met in just one bowl!
This Spicy 15 Bean Chili recipe is a spin off of the Original 15 Bean Chili recipe from Hurst Beans. I just spic-ified it a bit…making it just spicy enough for my husband to enjoy, but not so hot that it burns the boys’ tongues. (Feel free to throw in an extra jalapeno and/or crushed peppers for some more heat!)
And it makes for fabulous lunch, snack or dinner leftovers! Repurpose by loading it on top of baked potatoes, serving it over some bread, or even in tacos (if you drain the liquid off some!)
Hurst Bean Handmade Clay Pot Giveaways are still live…enter quick! They end today!
Tyler really, really, really wanted to pick a bean out of the chili for a little pre-dinner snack!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Spicy 15 Bean Chili
Adapted from Original 15 Bean Chili 
Yield – at least 8 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes plus 2 hours bean soaking time
Cooking Time – 1 hour, cook beans; 30 minutes, cook chili minutes
- 1 bag 15 bean soup, chili flavor ($1.79)
- 1 small onion, chopped ($.40)
- 1 jalapeno, chopped ($.49)
- 1 pound ground beef ($1.79)
- 1 28 oz. crushed tomatoes ($.99)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder ($.15)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans in large bowl with water overnight. Or in a bowl with hot water for at least 2 hours.
- Cook the beans as directed in a large pot for about an hour with the chili flavoring. Drain once beans are tender, saving 3 cups of the liquid the beans cooked in. (I just didn’t drain it completely, leaving some of the liquid in the pan to then pour in with the cooked beef.)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, add the chopped onion, chopped jalapeno and ground beef. Brown the beef and drain if necessary.
- Return to the pan and add the cooked beans plus reserved liquid, the crushed tomatoes and the spices. Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve Spicy 15 Bean Chili with side of favorite veggies.
Cost $5.66 for 8 servings! Wahoo!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/spicy-15-bean-chili-hurst-beans/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 15 Bean Enchiladas: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2012/01/15-bean-enchiladas-recipe-cajun-hurst-beans.html
 Slow Cooker Slopp-Beany Joes: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2012/02/slow-cooker-slopp-beany-joes-hurst-beans.html
 Curried Lentils with Rice and Caramelized Onions: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2012/02/curried-lentils-rice-with-caramelized-onions-hurst-beans.html
 Slow Cooker 15 Bean Soup: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2012/02/hurst-beans-handmade-clay-pot-giveaway-and-slow-cooker-soup-recipe.html
 How to Cook Dried Beans: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/10/how-to-cook-dried-beans.html
 Rice and Beans Budget Recipes: http://www.5dollardinners.com/rice-and-beans-budget-recipes
 Original 15 Bean Chili: http://www.hurstbeans.com/recipes/274/original-15-bean-chili
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.