When Steve and I lived in the Dominican Republic, one of our favorite side dishes was smothered okra. I would go into the fruit and veggie market and get a pound of fresh okra. I’d grab some peppers and an onion, then I’d probably pay $1 for it all…maybe $1.25, and I’d be on my way.
Eddy was my market man…and he always gave me a great deal! Nothing had prices on it, but I knew he was giving me
(While there are a number of things that I miss about our days in the Dominican Republic…our friends, our church, the simplicity of life, the slower pace…I especially miss the insanely cheap prices on fresh fruit and vegetables.
Insane-ly. Insane-ly. Cheap.
(I often wonder if I still lived there, if I could make all these $5 Dinners for just $3 or $4 with the cheaper produce prices!)
Once I got home, I’d rinse and start chopping…sauteing the vegetables with some canned tomatoes for a delicious smothered okra side dish.
And here I’ve turned this side dish favorite into a full meal…
Let’s get to it, shall we?!
Saute the chicken pieces in olive oil with some salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning.
Toss in a bag of frozen okra.
Then a bag of mixed peppers.
(Add them frozen, no need to thaw.)
Add can of Rotel.
Mix and toss. Cooked a few more minutes, until the veggies begin to thaw.
Add a few drops of Tabasco. Or a lotta drops of Tabasco.
Whatever kind of heat you like.
Cover and bake. Serve over brown rice.
Smothered Okra with Chicken and Rice
- 1 1/2 cups white rice ($.30)
- 1.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs ($2.98)
- Couple dashes Cajun seasoning ($.05)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bag frozen okra ($.68)
- 1 bag frozen pepper blend ($.68)
- 1 10 oz. can Rotel ($.16 )
- Couple drops Tabasco ($.05)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the white rice (or brown rice will work too) according to package instructions.
- Saute the chicken pieces in olive oil with some Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Add the okra and pepper blends, then add the Rotel. Mix up and add in some drops of Tabasco.
- Once the veggies have thawed, cover and move the dutch oven to the oven.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- Serve Smothered Okra and Chicken with juices over the brown rice.