- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Salsa, Black Bean and Beef Skillet Dinner
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On April 6, 2010 @ 5:51 pm In Beans,Beef,Gluten Free,Pantry Staples,Recipes,rice | 34 Comments
So sorry y’all! I left out the black beans! I’ve updated the recipe
This totally qualifies as a Pantry Staples meal .
3/4 lb. ground beef or chuck ($1.27)
1/2 onion, chopped ($.15)
1 cup brown rice ($.40)
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups cooked black beans ($.40) (or 1 can, drained)
1 cup salsa – mild, medium or hot! ($.75)
1 can diced tomatoes ($.29)
1 tsp ground cumin ($.05)
1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
Salt and pepper
1 cup shredded cheese, any variety ($.50) Used a pinchful for Steve’s bowl, which is pictured above…the rest of us had the cheeseless variety…I’m using the $.99/bag Kraft cheese from a few weeks back
1 package frozen corn ($.80)
1. In a large skillet or saucepan, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion. Drain, rinse and set aside.
2. In the same saucepan, add the brown rice and water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the browned beef, black beans, salsa, undrained diced tomatoes, ground cumin, garlic powder and salt and pepper, to taste. Once boiling together, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for 50 minutes, or until rice has cooked through. (NOTE: If you wish to use instant brown rice or white rice, let cook for the time suggested on the packaging.)
3. Once the rice has cooked through, uncover and simmer to let any remaining liquid cook off.
4. Prepare frozen corn as directed on package.
5. Serve Salsa, Black Bean and Beef Skillet with a side of corn.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/salsa-black-bean-and-beef-skillet/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 Pantry Staples meal: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/04/pantry-staples-list-recipes.html
 the site’s disclosure policy: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/04/disclosure-policy.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.