- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Penne Pasta with Sweet Sausage and Basil Sauce – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 10, 2011 @ 6:37 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,chicken,Pasta,Recipes | 15 Comments
When I got home from Atlanta this week, I had to quickly jump back into reality. I came home to 6 piles of laundry that needed to be taken care of, a sink full of dishes, a weekend’s worth of meals to be made (thankfully I’d already made 2 for next week!), and the prospect of having to regroup again for next week’s trip to Chicago and Minneapolis ! (I’d love to meet you if you live in Chicago or Mpls!)
I needed easy. I needed something I didn’t have to think too much about. And I needed something from the stockpile.
(And I did add the last of the shredded parmesan cheese from the freezer onto to Steve’s plate…which is in the picture above. The rest of us did not have cheese with our pasta…and it was perfectly fine without it!)
(But don’t worry…that’s not all Steve ate…he had 3 plates worth.)
Everyone loved this meal, except Tyler. He has recently discovered the art of throwing his food on the ground and giggling. And he takes everything…even his beloved beans…and drops it all to the floor. Just to be sure that gravity is still working, I suppose!
Penne Pasta with Sweet Sausage and Basil Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)
- 1 lb. sausage links, diced ($2.49)
- 2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce ($.66) $.33 each at Walgreens
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves ($.05)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. penne pasta ($.29) Details on how I got that price 
- Optional: Couple pinchfuls of Parmesan cheese
- 1 bag Brussels sprouts ($.99 )
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil. Add the diced sausage pieces and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until begin to brown. Stir often. (I was using a fully cooked chicken sausage. If you use an uncooked sausage, then be sure to cook it all the way through before adding in the sauce.)
- Once browned, stir in the tomato sauce and add the basil leaves and salt and pepper.
- While the sausage is browning, cook the pasta as directed on the package. Drain and return to the pot.
- Pour the sausage and basil sauce over the pasta and toss. Toss with shredded or grated parmesan cheese if desired.
- Cook the brussels sprouts as directed on the bag.
- Serve Penne Pasta with Sweet Sausage and Basil Sauce, and a side of Brussels sprouts or other veggie.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/penne-pasta-sweet-sausage-basil-sauce/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 next week’s trip to Chicago and Minneapolis: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/12/cookbook-signing-tour-locations-dates.html
 how I got that price: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/11/kroger-shopping-trip-mega-event.html
 $.99: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/11/kroger-shopping-trip-mega-event-35-pantry-challenge-week.html
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.