- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Omelets with Caramelized Onions and Bacon Crumbles – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On July 25, 2011 @ 5:30 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Breakfast,Pantry Challenge,Recipes | 4 Comments
Here’s a pantry/freezer challenge meal that I made earlier this month. This was very much an experiment…
And when I make it again, I’d use Swiss cheese. Not Feta.
As part of making a little more room in the pantry and freezer, I have found myself rummaging through each every afternoon looking for something to concoct. Sometimes it’s an old recipe from the site, other times it’s using up the spaghetti sauce that I find.
And this meal was a concoction. I found Feta in the freezer. Cooked turkey bacon in the freezer. Onions in the cupboard and a red pepper in the fridge. Throw it all together…a breakfast for dinner.
Omelets with Caramelized Onions and Bacon Crumbles
Yield – 4 omelets
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes for onions, 5 minutes each omelet
- 2 white onions, sliced ($.40)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.03)
- 1 Tbsp sugar ($.01)
- 12 eggs, or 3 eggs per omelet ($1.19)
- 1/2 cup milk ($.05)
- Oil for the omelet pan ($.10)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled ($.20)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced ($1)
- Feta cheese, about 4 ounces ($1) Coupon for Atheno’s Feta cheese 
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh fruit as side dish, we had cantaloupe wedges ($.75)
- Place the onion slices in a skillet over low heat with the olive oil and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for about 30 minutes to caramelize the onions.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk with some salt and pepper.
- Add about 1-2 Tbsp oil to a small skillet or omelet pan. Cook the omelet. Add the Feta, bacon and red pepper to the middle before folding over to serve. (Omelet How To Photos here ).
- Slide the omelet onto the serving plate and top with caramelized onions and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Omelets with Caramelized Onions and Bacon with side of fresh fruit.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/omelets-with-caramelized-onions-and-bacon-crumbles-5-dinner-challenge/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 Atheno’s Feta cheese: http://www.5dollardinners.com/coupons/couponscom
 Omelet How To Photos here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/04/spicy-mexican-omelet.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.