- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Lentil Stew with Pita Chips
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On February 6, 2013 @ 5:00 pm In Beans,Dairy Free,Feature,Gluten Free,Pantry Staples,Recipes | 4 Comments
I discovered lentils when we lived in the Dominican Republic. I don’t think I’d eaten them ever in my life before moving down there. At first, I wasn’t too sure about them…as they way we cooked them while in the DR, they were still fairly bland. But I’ve since learned that if you give them enough flavor and mix in some delicious and fresh ingredients, lentils can come alive!
As they do in this lentil stew.
I adore the flavor combinations in this dish. The tomatoes with the red onion. And a hint of sweetness from the carrot sticks. The creaminess from the sour cream garnish, and the bite from the cilantro…seriously, the lentils come alive. Oh, and the crunch and salt from the pita chips. Lentil perfection.
You’ll have to try it and see.
(Also, feel free to add some heat with extra pepper or crushed red pepper. I kept it mild for my boys.)
Lentil Stew with Pita Chips
Yield – 6 to 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 bag Hurst Garlic and Herb Green Lentils
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 large carrot sticks, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- Juice from 2 small lemons (or 1 lemon for less lemon flavor)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Garnish – dollop sour cream, chopped cilantro
- Handful of pita chips for each serving
- In a large saucepan or 6 qt Dutch oven, cook the lentils as directed on the bag.
- Once they have cooked for half the time indicated on the package, add the chopped onion, crushed garlic and chopped carrots. Stir in the undrained diced tomatoes and the juice from the lemons. Bring to bubbling, reduce heat and finish cooking the lentils.
- Season with ground cumin and cinnamon.
- When the lentils have cooked, remove from the heat to prevent the lentils from getting mushy.
- Serve Lentil Stew warm with dollop of sour cream and cilantro in each bowl, with a side of pita chips.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/lentil-stew-with-pita-chips/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 $5 Dinners: http://pinterest.com/5dollardinners/
 Rice and Beans Budget Board: http://pinterest.com/5dollardinners/rice-and-beans-budget/
 How to Cook Dried Beans: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/10/how-to-cook-dried-beans.html
 Rice and Beans Budget Recipes: http://www.5dollardinners.com/rice-and-beans-budget-recipes
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.