- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Lasagna Soup – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On April 12, 2010 @ 5:29 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Beef,One Dish Dinners,Pasta,Recipes,Soup | 22 Comments
Candi shares one of their family favorites with us tonight!
I read about a recipe for Lasagna soup in the Family Fun magazine. When we were able to get Ragu pasta sauce on sale for $.37 a jar a few months ago, I really wanted to utilize it in recipes other than the classic spaghetti, lasagna or pizza dishes. So of course I tweaked that recipe to make it more pleasing for my family and this is what I came up with!
This is really a really yummy and super easy recipe that is a great way to use jarred spaghetti sauces other than classic preparations.
Yield – 4 – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 onion finely diced $.80
- 1 teaspoon olive oil $.05
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced $.06
- 1 lb choice of meat (ground beef, Italian sausage, meatballs…) $2
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups jarred spaghetti sauce $.37
- 4 cups chicken (or vegetable or beef) stock $1
- 2 bay leaves $.03
- 8 oz pasta (Rotini, Fusilli, Campanelle,Corkscrew) $.50
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- shredded Mozzarella cheese $.50
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil to medium heat and saute onion until golden.
- Add garlic and warm through about 1 minute before adding your choice of meat.
- Brown the meat, remove any extra fat.
- Add oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, spaghetti sauce, chicken stock and bay leaves.
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add pasta and increase heat to bring to a boil and cook for recommended time on pasta box for “al dente”.
- Discard bay leaves and adjust seasonings by adding salt & pepper.
- Stir in fresh parsley and serve with a sprinkling of shredded Mozzarella cheese.
About Candi: I am the mommy to three children 13, 3, 1. I love saving money through coupons and gardening. I blog about recipe creations from sale items at the grocery store, family fun activities including homeschooling, and sometimes scrapbooking and card making.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/lasagna-soup/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.