- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Eggplant Marinara – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On March 5, 2012 @ 5:38 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Freezer Friendly,Pasta,Recipes,vegetarian | 10 Comments
I was cruising through the produce department recently and saw that eggplant was priced as “per eggplant,” not per pound. So of course, I looked for the largest one so I could make lots of sauce!
Don’t forget to get the largest one when you see “per unit” prices in the produce department!
So here’s how this goes down…
Dice. Salt. Let sit in colander in the sink.
For at least 30 minutes.
This draws out the bitter juices and will make your sauce much tastier!
Add crushed tomatoes.
Serve over pasta!
Eggplant Marinara Sauce
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 30 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 1 large eggplant, diced ($.99)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.05)
- 1 tsp Italian sesasoning ($.05)
- 1 tsp minced onion ($.05)
- 1 tsp minced garlic ($.05)
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes ($.99)
- Salt and pepper
- Spaghetti noodles or other pasta ($.50)
- Side of veggies and/or bread ($1)
- Put the diced eggplant into a colander in the kitchen sink and sprinkle salt over liberally. Let sit for 30 minutes. Then rinse with cold water.
- In large skillet, add the olive oil and saute the rinsed eggplant with the Italian seasoning, onion and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes. Deglaze the skillet with 1/4 cup of water, then stir in the crushed tomatoes.
- Cook noodles and veggies/bread as directed.
- Serve Eggplant Marinara over pasta with side of veggies/bread.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/eggplant-marinara/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.