- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On October 2, 2009 @ 5:54 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,Garden,Gluten Free,Recipes,Soup | 10 Comments
I ran across this recipe in Real Simple. I don’t make many of the recipes in the magazine because they often have more expensive ingredients and they would cost more than $5 for the meal…but when I ran across this recipe …I knew it could be done for under $5…
…and I think there is just enough leftover that the Hubs and I don’t have to fight over it for tomorrow’s lunch! Yes, I would fight him for this one…it was that good!
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil ($.10)
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced ($.15)
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth  (free)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes ($.59)
- 1 hot chili pepper, thinly sliced (free from the garden)
- 2 cups shredded chicken meat ($1.50) Use shredded chicken from $.88/lb whole chicken
- 1 15-ounce can hominy, rinsed ($.99)
- 2 tsp lime juice ($.10)
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 2 mini French loaves ($.20) Bought 8 mini loaves for $.79 on Manager’s Special…omit if GF.
- Butter and jam ($.25)
- 2 broccoli heads ($.40) Bought a ton when on sale for $.79 , blanched and froze!
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil and sliced onion and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until turns opaque.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and chili and bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken, hominy and lime juice and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice and toast French bread. Serve with butter and jam.
- Reheat broccoli in saucepan with 1/2 cup of water for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve Chicken Posole with Broccoli and French Bread.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/chicken-posole/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 this recipe: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/chicken-posole-00000000020559/index.html
 homemade chicken broth: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/03/what-to-do-with-bone-in-split-chicken-breasts.html
 shredded chicken meat : http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/08/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken.html
 Bought a ton when on sale for $.79: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/09/kroger-shopping-trip-6.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.