We used to make baked oatmeal for breakfast all the time when we lived in the Dominican Republic! There are so many great ways to make baked oatmeal. I thought I’d share my basic recipe, and you can mix in whatever you prefer…blueberries, strawberries, diced apples, dried cranberries, raisins…whatever!
I made this in a 9×13 baking dish so that we would have leftovers for breakfast! You could half the baked oatmeal portion of the recipe and bake in an 8×8 baking dish.
Baked Blueberry Oatmeal
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 2 eggs ($.16)
- 1/2 cup applesauce ($.20)
- 3/4 cup sugar ($.15)
- 1 cup milk ($.10)
- 3 cups of quick cooking oats ($1)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder ($.05)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar ($.05)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon ($.05)
- 2 cup fresh blueberries ($2)
- Vanilla or plain yogurt, or cream, or milk ($.50)
- 8 eggs ($.64) On sale $.89 a dozen!!!
- 1/2 cup milk ($.05) On sale for $.75 a half gallon!!!
- In large mixing bowl, whisk 2 eggs, applesauce, sugar and milk. Once creamy, add oats, salt and baking powder and mix through. (If you wish to add in any fruits, add about 1 cup into the batter at this point.) **Gluten free: Use certified GF oats . They are more expensive, but this dish would be worth it!
- Pour batter into greased 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle top with brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Don’t wait too long, as you want to serve it warm! Top with your preferred topping: vanilla or plain yogurt, or cream, or milk.
- Just before taking the baked oatmeal out of the oven, whisk together 8 eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Add to skillet over medium-high heat. Scramble to your likeness.
- Serve warm Baked Oatmeal with Scrambled Eggs.
To Freeze: Let the oatmeal cool completely, cut into single serving sizes (I usually do squares), and freeze individual portions in plastic baggies.
To Thaw: Drop the frozen oatmeal square into a bowl, and defrost it in the microwave for a minute, then warm it at regular temp for a minute, then add milk or yogurt and any other toppings and gobble it up!