This dish sorta turned into an experiment. I started with a plan in mind. And it kept changing as I found new things in the fridge to add to the dish!
I needed to use the eggplant and Cubanelle peppers I picked from the garden this week. And I had 2 green tomatoes in the fridge (more on the green tomato situation in the next garden update!). Why not throw those in too?
So this is what we got!
Baked Chicken Spaghetti
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 45 minutes
- 12 oz. spaghetti noodles ($.65)
- 2 tsp olive oil ($.06)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped ($.30)
- 2 green tomatoes, diced (from the garden)
- 1 Cubanelle (aka Italian frying) pepper, seeded and diced (from the garden)
- 1 small eggplant, diced (from the garden)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained ($.65)
- 2 small chicken breasts, diced ($1.79) About 1 lb.
- 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese ($.62-$1.25)
- About 1/2 lb. green beans (from the garden)
- In medium saucepan, cook spaghetti noodles as indicated on the package. Drain and place into greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In large skillet, add olive oil, onion, pepper, eggplant, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Saute over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes, or until green tomatoes soften and onions become opaque.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and diced chicken breasts. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until chicken pieces have cooked through.
- Combine the spaghetti noodles and the chicken and veggie sauce in the baking dish.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. As you can see below, I only used cheese on half the dish so the boys have have a dairy-free version of the meal! Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese has melted and begun to golden.
- Steam green beans in stovetop steamer for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve Baked Chicken Spaghetti with Green Beans.