It won’t be long before we are rolling in Thanksgiving leftovers.
I enjoy the opportunity to create “encore meals” from the leftovers. One of my favorite ways to use leftover mashed potatoes is in pierogi casserole. This goes together quickly and can easily be altered to suit your family’s preferences. My children prefer milder cheeses, so I use mostly mozzarella cheese, but feel free to use stronger cheeses.
I serve this as either a meatless dish with a garden salad or as a side dish. However, if there is any leftover, my kids request this for breakfast and I haven’t been able to think of a reason why I shouldn’t let them eat it then. 🙂
If your mashed potatoes have dried out while in the refrigerator, add a tablespoon or two of milk to make them easier to spread.
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 35 minutes
- 9 – 12 lasagna noodles, prepared according to package directions
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced including the tops
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 pan. Place 3 – 4 noodles on the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg. Spread the mixture evenly over the lasagna noodles. Sprinkle 1/3 of the green onion slices over the cottage cheese mixture.
- Place 3 – 4 noodles over the green onions. In a medium bowl, combine mashed potatoes and mozzarella cheese. Spread the potato mixture over the noodles. Then top with half of the remaining green onion slices.
- Place 3 –4 noodles over the green onions. Brush melted butter over the noodles. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and cheeses.
What is your favorite way to use leftover mashed potatoes?