- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Easy Broccoli and Beef
Posted By Alea On May 10, 2011 @ 6:31 pm In Beef,Chinese,Dairy Free,Freezer Friendly,Recipes | 19 Comments
I love how fast stir-frys come together. Broccoli and Beef is one of my favorite dishes, but I avoided making it for years because I thought the recipe involved too many steps for an easy stir-fry dinner. The recipe I was given by a friend involved cooking the meat in oil, steaming the veggies, cooking both in a marinade and then adding a sauce…just not going to happen on a busy night. Then one evening it occurred to me: I am not a recipe follower! So I used the flavors and created a fast and easy Broccoli and Beef recipe that we can enjoy even on busy nights.
You don’t need a wok to make stir-frys. I just use a large frying pan and push ingredients to the side before I work on the sauce in the center like so:
You do need oyster sauce when you make Broccoli and Beef, it is the secret ingredient. (Don’t tell your children that the secret ingredient is oyster sauce – that is why it is called the secret ingredient!) In our area a 9 oz bottle of oyster flavored sauce sells for $1.99. I use 14¢ worth in this recipe. It is a fairly inexpensive way to jazz up your stir-frys.
After you have cut your broccoli florets, don’t toss the stems! You can julienne the stems and use them to make Broccoli Slaw .
Easy Broccoli and Beef
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes (plus additional time for rice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 pound thin flank steak, cut in thin strips
- 1/2 small onion, cut in thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- Serve with white rice  or fried rice 
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Add olive oil and soy sauce to a large frying pan or wok. Add steak, onions and garlic and cook over a medium-high flame until the meat is mostly browned.
- Add broccoli and carrots. Cook over a medium-high flame for 4 –5 minutes or until broccoli is fork tender and meat is cooked through. Remove pan from flame.
- In a small bowl, combine water and corn starch until they are thoroughly mixed. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and ginger. Stir until completely mixed.
- Push the steak and broccoli to the sides of the pan, leaving the center empty.
- Add the sauce and cook over a medium flame, stirring constantly, until the sauce begins to thicken, approximately one minute. (This sauce is not going to be extremely thick, like the restaurant variation, but it is flavorful).
- Toss the beef and broccoli with the sauce until thoroughly coated.
- Serve Broccoli and Beef over white rice  or fried rice .
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/aleas-easy-broccoli-beef/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 This recipe is featured in our 20 Meals from Costco for $150 Meal Plan #1.: http://www.5dollardinners.com/20-meals-from-costco-for-150-recipes-printable-shopping-lists/
 Broccoli Slaw: http://www.premeditatedleftovers.com/2010/03/broccoli-slaw.html
 white rice: http://www.premeditatedleftovers.com/2010/12/how-to-make-rice-in-pressure-cooker.html
 fried rice: http://www.premeditatedleftovers.com/2009/05/salvaging-dry-rice.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.