Pin Recipe Save Recipe Recipe Saved!
The best recipe for making Dominican Rice and Beans! A delightful dish that can be a side dish or a main course!
Servings - 4 servings
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- 2-3 Tbsp oil ($.15) (I used canola to keep the meal GFCFSF!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans ($.50)
- 1/2 6 oz can tomato paste (Free! Muir Glen on sale for $.75 and used $.75 coupon!)
- 1/4 green pepper ($.25)
- 1/2 onion ($.10)
- 1 large sprig of fresh cilantro ($.25)
- Adobo Seasoning ($.25)
- 1/2 cup frozen veggies ($.25)
- Traditional Sides: Salad with avocado slices, fried chicken, tostones (twice fried plantains), potato salad, macaroni salad, cabbage slaw salad
Rinse beans in colander.
Soak beans overnight in lukewarm or for at least 2 hours in HOT water.
Drain beans. Replace beans in pot and cover with at least 2 inches of water.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly (I set mine to 8 on my burner) and let boil/simmer for 1.5 hours, or until soft.
You will add seasonings as they are cooking. Keep an eye on the water level, and add water more if necessary.