Sauteing summer squash…it has never worked well for me. I mean, it works…but not perfectly. I recently figured out that if I partially steam it before sauteing it…the results are quite tasty!
Yellow Summer Squash Steam Sauteed
Yield – 6-8 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced ($2)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp sugar ($.03)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the sliced squash into a skillet with the water, sugar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the squash for about 2-3 minutes, allowing the steam to begin cooking the squash.
- Uncover the squash and stir with wooden spoon. Let the remaining water boil off and then saute the partially cooked squash for 3-4 minutes…or until begins to brown.
- Once a few of the squash slices begin to brown, saute another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve warm as side dish.