Julie shared this recipe with me and I thought I’d give it a whirl!Â I left off the sour cream lime sauce (trying to keep it dairy free!).Â Paired with corn and sweet potato circles.Â A fabulous and tasteful meal!
Since I bought a GINORMOUS sweet potato, I only grated half of it and then sliced the other half into thin circles that I added to the cookie sheets for broiling.Â They cooked up perfectly along side the bean cakes!
This meal makes 8 spicy bean cakes, plus sweet potatoes and corn!Â I was doubtful this would be enough for us…but the spicy bean cakes were quite filling!Â Fiber fills you up!!!Â We were all stuffed after this meal.Â Even my “beans make me throw up” child liked these!Â That is a direct quote from this afternoon when I was preparing these!
We all LOVED these!
Spicy Bean Cakes
- 1/4 large red onion, finely chopped($.25)
- 2 hot peppers, finely chopped(from the garden)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed ($.10)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin ($.10)
- 2 cans black beans, no salt added ($1.66)
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1.3 lb.) ($1.16)
- 1 egg ($.08)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs ($.20)
- 4 corn cobs ($1) On sale this week!
- Chop red onion, hot peppers. Crush garlic. Add to skillet with olive oil and ground cumin. Saute for 2-3 minutes.