I want to thank you for your prayers over the weekend. The MRI went as smoothly as it could have gone. I only had one “mama panic moment” after I realized he had been back there for longer than normal. But he was and is fine! I want to thank Amber from Classic Housewife for my FAB new $5 Dinner Challenge button! Tonight’s meal is inspired by an idea at Makes and Takes. This is a fantastic kid friendly recipe. I made the meal with ground chicken (idea from Mom of Littles) and the kiddos LOVED it! I thought they tasted like chicken nuggets. GOOD chicken nuggets. Not processed chicken and fat fried chicken nuggets!!!
Mini Meatloaves and Mashed Potatoes
- 1 lb ground chicken ($1.49)
- 1 cup bread crumbs ($.25) I ground up some GFCFSF cereal instead
- 1 egg ($.12)
- 2 Tbsp ketchup ($.10)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.03)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped ($.20)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- BBQ sauce ($.25)
- 8 small potatoes ($.99)
- 1/2 - 1 cup milk ($.12)
- 1 -2 Tbsp olive oil (or butter) ($.10)
- 1 acorn squash ($1.29)
- In large bowl, combine ground chicken, bread crumbs/chip crumbs, egg, ketchup and spices. (Or use your favorite meatloaf recipe!!!). Mix well. Scoop meat into muffin tins (I used mini loaf pan tin.) Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil for about 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in bowl. Mash with potato masher. Add milk and butter/olive oil. Mix in seasonings. Stir well.
- Prepare squash as follows. This is my favorite way to make it. "Steaming it in the oven" makes the flesh really soft. I would love to hear your favorite way to prepare acorn squash!
- Cut acorn squash in half. (Microwaving the squash for 3-4 minutes will make it easier to cut.)