Lentils are a delicious, hearty and super frugal food that makes really nutritious meals with lots of meatless protein. This wonderful soup is a great way to warm up. Â I like to serve it with garlic bread for dinner or lunch.
Magda's Hearty Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry lentils
- 5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 8 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- (null) salt and pepper, to taste
- Pick over dried lentils to remove any foreign materials. Rinse.
- Add water to the lentils, covering by about 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until just tender. This can take anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes depending on the age of the lentils.
- Check the water level regularly to make sure the lentils do not burn.
- Do not add salt.
- In another pot, saut onion, garlic and red pepper in oil.
- Add lentils and stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn and seasonings, and simmer another 10 minutes.