So I love, love, love talking to my boys about food, making healthy choices, and food around the world. Just this morning, we had a conversation about kids in other countries and what they eat. It was quite the intense breakfast conversation for early on a Monday morning! My oldest was asking questions like, “Where do they get their food?” (Talking about kids in Africa.) “What about kids in South America?” “Are there grocery stores in the dessert?”
And I think Ryan was very interested because he knows he was born in another country…and was really curious about what they ate in the Dominican Republic.
And I love that I can have these conversations with my kids…to engage them, to make them think beyond their own “food world,” to inspire them to think of other.
Another great way to get kids thinking about food, healthy choices and their food world is….
The Healthy Creatures iPad app.
Healthy Creatures allows children to make collages with fruits and vegetables, featuring original artwork by Penguin USA children’s book author and illustrator Jonathan Fenske, Healthy Creatures offers kids a way to express themselves with garden-fresh art. In a world awash in children’s apps featuring donuts, cookies and cupcakes, Healthy Creatures stands apart. The Fat and Appy team has created a very fun and interactive app that is fun for kids, and allows parents to open up the conversation with their kids.
Check out this message from the Fat and Appy team to all of us in the $5 Dinners family ~
This week, we’ve got a $25 iTunes gift card to give away to 1 $5 Dinners friend!
1. Contest ends Wednesday, September 26th at 5 pm EST. Winners will be announced back here on this post, and notified via email with further instructions.
- Entry #1: Leave a comment sharing your one way you encourage your kids/grandkids/class/nephews/nieces, etc. to make healthy food choices.
- Entry #2: Follow $5 Dinners on Pinterest. Pin your favorite $5 Dinners recipe that uses fresh fruit or vegetables. (Recipe Index)
- Entry #3:Like Fat and Appy on Facebook or follow on Twitter.
- Entry #4: Hang out with us on Facebook, join the free email newsletter, or get RSS updates.
- Please leave separate comments for each entry.
2. Winner will be selected by Random.org.
**NOTE: If you receive the email newsletter and wish to enter this giveaway, click on the title of this giveaway to get to the site and leave a comment on the site with your name and email address to be entered!