While turkey is the star of Thanksgiving’s leftovers, ham takes center stage at Christmas. I like ham sandwiches as much as the next girl, but in the middle of the winter, I want something a little more hearty – not to mention warm. This twist on a hot ham & cheese sandwich pairs perfectly with my favorite potato soup.
The soup can be made with leftover mashed potatoes or baked potatoes. The last time I made this, I made a potato skin appetizer for an event one night, then used the scooped out potatoes for the soup the next day. No food left behind.
Grilled Ham & Cheese
8 bread slices
½ lb thinly sliced ham
4 Cheese slices
¼ c butter or margarine, softened
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 T Parmesan cheese
1. Mix butter, garlic & Parmesan, then spread on one side of each bread slice.
2. Lay 4 slices on a griddle, butter side down.
3. Layer cheese, ham and a 2nd slice of bread on each.
4. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
4 cups mashed or baked potatoes
1 can chicken broth (or 2 cups turkey broth, if you have leftovers)
1 cup milk
1-2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
¼ c chopped celery (or 1 Tbsp dried celery flakes)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
4 slices bacon
1 ½ c cheddar cheese, divided
1. Crisply cook bacon in a 4-qt sauce pan. Remove and drain, but allow a little grease to remain the pan.
2. Add milk, chicken broth, garlic, celery, salt and pepper.
3. Stir in potatoes – if you’ve used baked potatoes, finely mash ½ cup. This is also a great time to add chopped carrots or cauliflower, if you have a leftover veggie tray or just want to sneak in a little more nutrition.
4. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in 1 cup cheese and crumbled bacon.
6. Garnish each serving with remaining cheese.
Both recipes are pretty flexible to what you have on hand. Feel free to use Romano over Parmesan, mozzarella instead of cheddar, provolone or American slices – they are very forgiving recipes, designed to use up what’s hanging around after a big holiday dinner. Plus, it will keep you warm on a cold winter’s night!
Enjoy “the sequel”!!!
Heather Sokol is the married mother of three beautiful, active girls, who have created in her a Montessori mom, Scout mom, allergy mom and avid coupon clipper. Heather is a gluten free, chocoholic, bubble bath connoisseur, full of money saving ideas for all aspects of life. She’s a little bit crunchy, always opinionated and sometimes speaks geek, but not fluently.