Carrie from GingerLemonGirl shares her favorite gluten free breakfast…
My husband loves pancakes! A lot! When I first began the gluten free diet and we didn’t make pancakes anymore Michael complained. He really wanted pancakes on Saturday mornings. So, I tried making them with store bought gluten free mixes. The pancakes were okay, but they were incredibly expensive and I knew they could taste better!
I put on my thinking cap and started researching how to make a homemade, quick, gluten free, all purpose baking mix. The mix I came up with is listed here. It is a GREAT frugal alternative to store bought gluten free baking mixes. Using the homemade baking mix makes very simple, frugal, and delicious pancakes!
I highly recommend making and keeping this master mix available in your pantry! You can use it cup for cup in ANY regular bisquick recipe! It makes fantastic biscuits, cookies, pancakes, brownies, and more! I love having this simple mix available at home! It’s fresh, homemade, and very very nice to your pocketbook!
A typical Saturday morning meal at our house is gluten free pancakes, using the Master Mix, along with turkey bacon, and scrambled eggs! Yum!! Makes me hungry just thinking about it!
Gluten Free Pancakes
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1 cup Gluten Free Master Baking Mix ($1.00)
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup milk or dairy free substitute ($.25)
- 1 egg ($.25)
- Preheat griddle or cast-iron pan.
- Mix all ingredients in a large measuring cup or mixing bowl. (Start with ½ cup milk or milk substitute and add more slowly. Add up to 1/2 cup of additional milk to get pancake batter the consistency you desire.)
- Spritz griddle or cast-iron pan with non-stick cooking spray or margarine.
- Drop pancake batter 1/4 cup at a time onto the griddle or pan. Flip pancakes when all the air bubbles start to pop. Cook additional minute or two until underside is browned.
- Serve immediately with butter -or- ghee and pure maple syrup! Also good with homemade applesauce, sugar and cinnamon, etc… Also great as a breakfast wrap with scrambled eggs and turkey bacon rolled up inside!
Total cost of pancakes + 6 slices turkey bacon ($1.49) + 4 scrambled eggs ($1.00) = $3.99
Carrie is an eastern NC resident with a passion for frugal gluten-free cooking and baking. She loves helping people with food intolerances. You can email Carrie at [email protected] and read her blog at http://www.gingerlemongirl.com.