As the first few months of the school year have passed, I have gotten into a school lunch rut. I was starting to pack my 1st grader a peanut butter & honey sandwich everyday! Then a little leftover pasta inspired me to create a new, quick dish for school & work lunches.
This is isÂ versatileÂ and can be changed to use up a variety of leftovers. You could substitute leftover rice or add leftover chicken/tuna or beans. You could even challenge an older child to create his own creation using up already in the fridge. Here’s to breaking the school lunch rut!
- 1 cup of leftover cooked pasta
- 1/2 cup of frozen mixed vegetables (or leftover cooked or raw vegetables)
- 1 oz cheese, cubed (orsubstitute2 oz cooked chicken or tuna or 1/4 cup cooked beans)
- 2 tbsp oil based salad dressing (such as Italian orBalsamic)
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- Pack with a piece of fruit and whole grain crackers.
- Keep cool until lunchtime.