A delicious and nutritious fall soup! I borrowed and slightly modified this recipe! I added apple juice in with the broth and it gave the soup just enough extra sweetness!
- 1 lb Chicken Thighs ($1.85)
- 1/8 cup Olive Oil Dressing ($.10)
- 1 large Butternut Squash ($.69) Thanks Aldi!
- 2 T butter ($.10)
- 1 small onion ($.20)
- 1 celery stalk ($.05)
- 2 small potatoes ($.20)
- 3 cloves garlic ($.15)
- 1/4 cup apple juice ($.10)
- Spices: Dash of cinnamon, ground cloves and ground ginger ($.10)
- 2 cups chicken broth (free or $1)
- 1-1 1/2 cups whole milk ($.20)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas ($.50)
- Slice squash in half and then bake squash upside down in baking dish at 350 F for an hour. Remove from oven and let cool. Remove seeds, peel and scoop out flesh.
- Dice onion, celery and potatoes. In large saucepan, add butter, let melt and then add onion, celery, garlic and potatoes. Saute for 7-8 minutes. Add cooked squash, spices and broth. Add apple juice and milk.
- Simmer 30-40 minutes, until vegetables are soft and tender. Let cool a few minutes.
- Puree in food processor, blender or with handheld immersion blender. Option: Garnish soup with thinly sliced apple or apple chips.
- Place chicken in baking dish. Drizzle with 2-3 T extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper over thighs. Bake at 350 F for 25-35 minutes, until juices run clear.
- Cook peas as directed on package. Serve with soup and chicken!