So I’ve had my eye on this recipe that I’d seen on Pinterest for while for CopyCat Penne Rustica from Macaroni Grill. Except I don’t like pimentos. Well, I don’t mind them, but I don’t love them either. When seeing the recipe, I’d thought that it would be delicious if I made it with red bell peppers instead of the pimentos. So I waited for a red bell pepper sale. I’d seen $1 sales…but I was hoping for a $.75 sale.
And then a $.33 sale happened at Sprouts.
I was shocked by this price and knew this was my one and only chance to make this…if I was going to get it even close to $5. (It’s a bit over because I used both shrimp and chicken. Use chicken only and it’d probably hit the mark.)
And I’ve given this the label of “not-quite” because I didn’t use the rosemary, pancetta, or pimentos. 🙂
Shrimp sauteeing with the onions…before the diced chicken gets added in.
Shrimp and chicken swimming in the marsala-cream sauce…flavors mingling.
Pasta and red peppers, waiting to be tossed with the saucy chicken-shrimp mixture.
Hot and fresh outta the oven with ooey gooey cheese melted to perfection.
The marsala in the homemade white sauce really gave a rich flavor to this pasta dish. Next time I make it, I’ll probably just use chicken and save a few dollars on the shrimp!
This is definitely one you want to include on an upcoming meal plan!
CopyCat Penne Rustica
- 1 teaspoon butter ($.03)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic ($.10)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard ($.02)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill ($.05)
- 1/2 cup marsala cooking wine ($.75)
- 4 cups heavy cream ($1)
- 9 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined ($2)
- 2 small grilled chicken breasts, diced ($2)
- 1/4 cup butter ($.40)
- 1 small white onion, chopped ($.20)
- Salt and pepper
- 12-16 ounces penne pasta, cooked ($.50)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped ($.66)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese ($.75)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese ($1)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika ($.02)